6/30/2015

The Method behind my Madness…


The Method behind my Madness…

I used the hex co-ordinates from the pre-Alpha map PFO provided, and I started logging what I gathered from each node on an excel spreadsheet. Looking at all that data, I knew a map (or maps) would be much easier to look at. I wanted it to be printable, so I divided the main map up into 4 quadrants (NW, NE, SW, and SE).
 
I started in the NW quadrant because I based myself out of Rathglen.  I continued gathering and using my Xp to increase my gathering skills. Logging it all on the spreadsheet. I used 2 characters so I could cover all the skill bases. Eventually I hit level 7 in all 4 gathering skills (split between John Cabot and Hiro), so I started logging Tier 2 mats.

Once I started collecting Tier 2 data I did not go back and recollect data from all the previous hexes. Also, the data I collected was by no means complete. Some hexes I only hit a particular node type 2 or 3 times. And currently I can only collect up to Tier 2 so no Tier 3 data has been gathered. Provisionally I can say that all hexes in the NW quadrant are finished.

I made maps for the NW for each refinement type and Tier level. (I.e. Essence 1 and Essence 2.) I did combine Weaver and Tanner mats into one map (WeaTan). So I ended up with 12 maps for the NW.
Each hex has Letters representing the materials found there ( C for Coal, etc.). I created a Master Map Key to show what abbreviations I used. I admit the Apothecary maps are a bit cluttered. I did them by hand and have scanned them in, but I will be creating nice ones using Gimp. (Thank you to the community for suggesting it!).
And now the Disclaimers!
Now I know my logic in doing this may be flawed, overly simple or just plain weird.
 I’m not that computer savvy.
This is my first real attempt at a blog.
I am self-taught when it comes to excel and map making.
The Hex Coordinate system may change (Please NOOO!!!).
They may change what drops where.
BUT This is an unending project.
 I intend to continue updating the maps and spreadsheets until they pull the plug on this game. I intend to cover every hex. This aspect of the game has become my passion. If you wish to share data with me contact me here. I will give you credit if you like. Any suggestions are welcome.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment